Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Sou Galega

Today at the bakery I got called Galega!!! It made me feel so much more Brazilian. I'm not "Norteamericana"...I'm just a blondish Brazilian.

I also got lots of compliments today from the girls in the international coordinator's office about how good my accent is. : ) : ) : ) I went there today because Michely, the assistant, wanted to tell me what we needed to do to set up a Brazilian bank account! Money! Woo Hoo! What a good day.

I start leading that conversational English class in a WEEK. Crazy. All the students are really anxious because they had to take a test to judge their english level, and only the 15 best get in. Which means, I hope, they're all really dedicated to learning English and will be a lot of fun to work with.

Last Saturday Night in Garanhuns, Carolina's friend Vanesa's brothers' band was playing at a bar. We all went and danced. The next morning I was talking to the grandma about how I was tired because I still wasn't used to staying out til after 4am. She laughed and said "4? that's nothing." She then continued to tease me by telling Lucia Angelica that I'm not yet accustomed to partying in Brazil. Oh Grandmas. We also watched one of her favorite movies together in her room while eating home made dulce de leche. It was Scent of a Woman with Al Pacino. Haha.


Rio Capibaribe! I took the bus to Parque Jaqueira yesterday and walked along the river a little.


Here is something that amuses me: The weather here is whack. Completely. Sometimes Carol will yell " 'ta chovendo! (it's raining!)" and everyone will jump up from whatever they're doing and run to shut the windows. It's like a fire drill, but a water drill, and not a drill.






No comments:

Post a Comment