Thursday, August 20, 2009

Lately...

I've been very very busy lately. On top of classes, for the past 2 days, I've been going to seminars on bee and honey production. Yesterday through tomorrow is Agrinordeste, the huge regional ag conference. I was originally signed up to go to the cattle seminars but they messed up and I didn't argue because I decided bees would be more interesting anyway. : ) I'm already learning about cows at school and ever since a Reading Rainbow we watched in elementary school, I've wanted to raise bees.

After a week and a half, I FINALLY had my goats/sheep class and so far I like it, even though 2 hours is a long time to sit in class period, let alone in a second language on a wooden chair. I still haven't had my Water Buffalo class, but the professor is a young guy who's good friends with my roommate, so I think it'll be good.

I finished translating Pedrinho's research project into English! I'm so excited to get to go to the farms and lab with him in October when it all gets going! I am thoroughly motivated and feel like I'm going to completely own the Animal Science Dept in Davis when I get back. : )


Here are some photos that Renan emailed me:

Renan, Juana, and Me at Boa Viagem at night, after we ate Tapiocas in Olinda. A few days after this outing, Juana flew to Texas to be part of the same program I'm doing, but at Texas A & M. We still talk online sometimes, her in English and me in Portuguese. It's hilarious.

Kalina, Renan, Me. Even though I know Renan through Juana who I know through Carol, and Juana was in Texas, and Carol couldn't go...Renan still really wanted me to come to his birthday party at "Downtown Pub." It was decorated in British Rock Decor.

Renan and I got there around 10:15 then walked around the city and sat at a table outside waiting for people. We actually went to Down Town Pub around midnight, had a drink and danced until almost 3. He's a lot dorkier than I gathered from our first meeting, but in a good way of course.

So the days have been quite good, but quite full. I'm looking forward to visiting the fam in Garanhuns this weekend. No plans, a nice hammock, free food, a cooler climate. It beckons.

No comments:

Post a Comment